By Helen Callier
August 31st, 2022
Hint: Building Permit
Since 2020, the real estate market has been a roller coaster for homebuilders and homebuyers with the cost of materials shooting to all time highs and home prices increasing from 20% to 40% depending on the area of the country. And now even more changes are on the horizon.
One thing for sure is that when a homebuyer invests their hard-earned savings and place their dream in the hands of a General Contractor that homebuilder has a fiduciary job to deliver their customer’s dream. The first glimpse of making a dream come true is pulling a building permit.
Below are the top 5 ways to create good memories for your residential customer through permitting.
- Set a Positive Tone for Home Construction: If you have a contract to build a dream house for a first-time or 2nd or 3rd time homebuyer, let them know that you have everything to pull the proper permits for their project. Also, review timeline, general permitting processes, and associated building permit fees.
- Be Responsible and Do the Right Thing: QA/QC your permit package to make sure all required items are ready to submit. Complete permit application for the main building permit and submit package based on jurisdiction procedures.
- Stay Alert and Monitor Plan Reviews Through Permitting Departments: Respond to Plan Reviewers’ Request for Information (RFI’s) and rejection comments in a timely manner. Resubmit as needed and resume to tracking plan reviews for timely completion and approval to permit.
- Recognize and Record Key Milestone Achieved: When plan reviews are completed, pay for the main building permit, and pull stamped approved plans. Inform your customer that a key milestone of obtaining building permit has been achieved and can alert any subcontractors to pull trade permits as needed.
- Now Ready to Start Construction: Post main building permit on site, place copy of stamped plans where can be easily accessible including when City Building Inspector comes on site, alert your team, and start construction. Also, let the property owner know that progressive inspections will be coordinated as required by jurisdiction and then a final inspection of home will occur as the closing assurance that all aspects of home were built to approved plans and to building codes. Once completed, your customer can expect to receive a Certificate of Compliance for their records.
Only the Homebuilding Industry folks with colorful charts and statistics may know the direction that residential market is heading in the next 2 to 5 years based on cost of materials, mortgage interest rates, home affordability and other factors. While market dynamics are happening note that there are still homebuyers with a picture of their dreamhouse looking for trustworthy homebuilders to meet their needs.
The PermitUsNow team knows this kind of homebuilder pulls proper building permits and if such a homebuilder is too busy to manage the permitting process, they are welcome to call us at 1.844.PERMIT.4. At PermitUsNow, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe