By Helen Callier
January 29th, 2023
As we all know, the process of obtaining a building permit can be complex and frustrating. But thanks to the power of electronic submission and some call digital transformation , the permitting process has become much more streamlined — and much easier to navigate. If you’re a starter in the world of electronic submissions for permits, don’t worry! We’ve broken down the step-by-step process so you can apply for a permit with greater confidence. Plus, we will also explore the advantages of digital submissions so you can see why it’s become the preferred method for obtaining a building permit.
Step-by-step process to obtain a building permit:
- Research: Look out for building permit expediting firms to apply for permits. Most expediting companies will have experience with online portals to submit the relevant paperwork and obtain a permit.
- Submit Application: Fill out your application with the required information and documents, including floor plans, zoning requirements, occupancy information, and more.
- Review Process: The review process will vary depending on the jurisdiction and type of permit, but generally, it should only take a few days to up to 30 days to obtain an answer. Some jurisdictions such as on the West Coast can take much longer due to staffing and workload issues.
- Payment: After your application is approved, you’ll need to submit payment for the permit fee. This can be done either online or in person, depending on the jurisdiction.
- Approval: Once you’ve made the necessary payments, a building permit will be issued, and you can start construction!
Advantages of Electronic Submission:
There are numerous advantages of using electronic submission for the permitting process.
- First, it speeds up the entire process by allowing for an easier and more direct way to apply for a permit. Instead of waiting in line at a physical location, you can obtain your permit in just a few clicks online. Additionally, with digital transformation, there’s less paperwork.
- Second, electronic submission is more secure. Having the entire process done online reduces the risk of paperwork being lost or misplaced. Plus, there’s an added layer of security when personal information and documents are transmitted electronically.
- Third, electronic submission helps to create a better user experience. With an online platform, the process is more intuitive and user-friendly, making it easier for applicants to obtain their permits with greater ease.
- Fourth, electronic submission allows for better tracking and faster turnaround times. Each step of the process is visible and can be tracked easily, so applicants know exactly where they stand in the application process. Plus, with digital permits, the processing time is usually much faster.
- Finally, electronic submission is cost-effective. By automating processes and removing unnecessary steps from the permitting process, digital transformation helps to reduce costs and overall expenses. Furthermore, it also eliminates the need to obtain physical copies of documents, saving additional time and money.
Therefore, it is pretty clear that Digital transformation via electronic submission has drastically changed the permitting process for the better — and we think you’ll agree! By following our simple step-by-step process, you can obtain a building permit with greater confidence. So go ahead and grow your project without worrying about the permitting process. You will be glad you did!
You can call PermitUsNow at 1.844.PERMIT.4 for assistance with permitting, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe