What Every Architect Needs to Know About the Permitting Process
By Helen Callier
January 17th, 2023
From local zoning laws to design standards and safety codes, the permitting process is a complicated maze. But understanding it is essential for architects everywhere. Permits are the key to getting projects off the ground and keeping them in compliance with local building regulations. In other words, they’re essential for getting your designs approved and built.
To help architects better navigate the permitting process, here are some tips and best practices to keep in mind:
- Get organized: Permits can involve a lot of paperwork and documents. Make sure you have everything collected and organized before submitting your application. Don’t forget any necessary documents and signatures, as this could delay your application process.
- Research local requirements: Research the necessary documents and procedures for obtaining a permit in your area. Rules and requirements vary depending on where you live.
- Understand deadlines: Permits have expiration dates, so it’s paramount to keep an eye on when yours will be up for renewal. In addition, the permitting process can take several weeks or even months, so plan accordingly.
- Communicate with local building departments: It’s important to stay in touch with local building departments and ensure that everyone is on the same page throughout the entire permitting process. This will also help you stay up-to-date about any changes or requirements.
If you feel it’s too complicated, then it’s better to hire a Permit Expediting Company to help you.
Here’s how Permit Expediting can help:
Permit Expediting can help architects and contractors in numerous ways, including:
- Performing all the necessary research for your project: It’s the responsibility of Permit Expediting to perform the necessary research and check local requirements to ensure that your project meets all regulations and standards.
- Reviewing plans and documents: Permit Expeditors review plans and documents to make sure they meet local regulations. In addition, Permit Expeditors can help you make sure that your projects are compliant.
- Preparing applications: Permit Expediting can prepare all of the required documents, including building permit applications and drawings, for you. You just need to provide Permit Expeditors with the information and documents they need.
- Following up with municipalities: Permit expeditors can also keep in contact with municipalities on your behalf and make sure all of the necessary paperwork is being processed efficiently.
- Making corrections: Permit Expediting can also help expedite the process if any corrections are needed or if a review of the project needs to be re-submitted.
- Negotiating with officials: Permit Expediting can also help with negotiating any issues that may arise during the permitting process. Furthermore, they can provide advice and guidance on any changes or modifications that may be necessary.
The Ending Note
By following these tips and best practices, architects can make the permitting process much more manageable. Permits are essential to getting projects off the ground, so it pays to do your research and plan ahead. And even in cases where you need some extra help, Permit Expediting is a great option for ensuring that your designs get approved and built quickly and effectively.
You can call PermitUsNow at 1.844.PERMIT.4, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe