By Helen Callier
January 10th, 2023
Construction projects are always exciting, but they can quickly turn into financial liability if you’re not careful. One of the biggest potential expenses during construction is getting your permits. Permitting is the process of obtaining approval from the city or county in order to begin construction on a project. And it is not possible to begin construction without the proper permits unless you’re building in deep rural areas.
However, the process of getting a permit can be long and complicated, often taking months to complete. This is especially true if you’re unfamiliar with the process or if there are any hiccups along the way. In addition, the costs of getting a permit can range from a few hundred to a thousand dollars, depending on the scope of your project.
So, if you are interested to know the hidden costs behind getting your construction permits and how to avoid them, read on.
The Hidden Cost behind Getting a Construction Permit
The permitting process for building projects can be time-consuming and expensive, but it’s worth the hassle when you know what to expect. In some cases, a few hundred dollars may suffice; in other cases, costs could easily reach thousands of dollars for a single permit.
Here are the hidden costs ideals mentioned below that you should take into account when budgeting for your construction project:
- Application fees
- Plan review fees
- OT or Expedited Review Fees
- Building Permit fees
- Inspection fees
- Professional consulting fees
How to Avoid the Hidden Costs of Getting a Construction Permit
There are a few hidden costs that can come with getting your construction permit. Fortunately, there are also ways to avoid these costs.
- Do your research: The best way to avoid hidden costs is to do your research ahead of time. Familiarize yourself with the permitting process and what fees you can expect. By doing this, you can budget for your project and steer clear of any unwanted surprises.
- Expedite the process: One way to avoid costly delays is to expedite the permitting process. This can be done by hiring a professional consultant or using an online permit service. These services can help you navigate the permitting process and get your project approved quickly.
- Follow the rules: Finally, it’s important to follow all the rules and regulations when applying for a permit. If you fail to follow the rules, you may be required to pay additional fees or even be denied a permit altogether.
No one likes paying fees, but when it comes to construction permits, the hidden costs can really add up. By being aware of the potential fees and how to avoid them, you can save yourself money set.
And one simple way to go about this is expediting the building permit process to use PermitUsNow. We completely know the ins and outs of the permitting process, so we can help you get your permit fast. For more information on building permit expediting, please visit our website or contact us today. We would be happy to help you get your project off the ground as quickly and smoothly as possible.
You can call PermitUsNow at 1.844.PERMIT.4, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe