By Helen Callier
May 19th, 2022
The only constant in this backlogged permitting environment are contractors are frustrated.
The path to getting a building permit has become more challenging for Contractors at large municipal jurisdictions like the City of Dallas or City of Austin and in small jurisdictions where growth is bursting at the seams.
25, 26, or 28 days for first time reviews for just one department can blow a Contractor’s preconstruction schedule, especially if the Contractor failed to factor in the actual days that it is taking a jurisdiction to review plans. This faux pas alone can cost a lot of time and money plus adversely impact the Project Owner.
Getting to the actual sales order and permit in-hand phase are so important during an economic cycle involving inflation, fluctuation of material costs and labor constraints. Delays in permitting not only cost Contractors’ money but until the completed project is turned over, the Project Owner stands waiting to produce revenue and to enjoy their dream.
The PermitUsNow team has witnessed an increase in calls to our toll-free line from Contractor’s struggling to pull their permits. We have heard stories from Contractors involving misses in permitting such as the following:
- GC Caller #1: We were unaware that a full set of plans were required because the tenant space had a different use.
- GC Caller #2: We submitted an already approved set of plans and the City said that we cannot use someone else’s plans.
- GC Caller #3: We started demolition and the City Inspector that came by and then shut us down because we had started actual construction without approved plans and a building permit to start work.
So, what’s doable? What do you suggest, Helen?
Here’s what I know. Following the basics works to provide light in the dark while you are running and helps to ground you in options to pursue to obtain your building permits.
Each project is unique even for the same footprint and programming like with franchise locations, but anchoring your construction plans with basic permitting steps can place you in a positive direction.
Here are the 5 basic steps to place in your permitting tools kit.
- Start early. Waiting until the last minute to package and submit permit package creates stress and creates a scenario to forget a key item.
- QA/QC permit package against the jurisdiction’s checklist based on type of project
- Punt assuming. Ask for assistance from Plan Reviewers or building permit experts prior to submitting to jurisdiction
- Track project through permitting reviews
- Respond in a timely manner to all rejection comments from jurisdiction
Smart Contractors run in the dark with a lighted plan powered by the basic steps as mentioned above. And like X’s and O’s outlining plays in a football game, Contractors can cross the line with their building permit in hand. If you are scratching your head thinking that the pressures of permitting are too much of a problem to handle, call 1.844.PERMIT.4 for help.
At PermitUsNow, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe