By Helen Callier
August 23rd, 2022
It is always a great feeling to sign a new contract. Be it for a commercial or public project, the sound of hearing the words, “you have been awarded xyz job” is sweet music. This was apparent when picking up a package at the Post Office, a Contractor saw the PermitUsNow wrapped fleet truck and came over to ask the following question.
Contractor: “Do you pull permits for city road projects?”
PermitUsNow: Yes, we do. How can I help you?
Contractor: “We are doing some intersection saw cuts, installing new driveways and culverts; and the City gave us a violation notice the other day for not having the proper permits and mentioned something about trees.”
PermitUsNow: What is your full project scope? Where is project located? Do you have a copy of violation?
The above kind of scenario occurs often and the PermitUsNow team members are passionate about answering questions and providing insights to Contractors, Architects and Project Owners even when we are in the field. Below are 5 permitting tips shared with the public works contractor to assist him in getting back on track with construction.
- Review contract to see if the City Engineer or contracted Civil Engineering firm have the responsibility to pull permits.
- Double check with City Public Works PM and let them know about violations plus steps to resolve.
- If Contractor is responsible to pull permits including for impact to trees and ROW infrastructure like light poles, make sure registered with the jurisdiction which will require your Certificate of Insurance, and bond information.
- Confirm number of driveways, culverts, intersections, etc. based on scope shown in contract.
- Review project schedule to assess phasing of permits and how long will require street closure and sidewalk permits.
Municipal roadway projects are often challenging, especially when work involves high traffic and busy city streets with complex utilities. Contractors are advised to review the above 5 tips to minimize project delays and to avoid negatively impacting public travel. With so much infrastructure work going on in many cities and upcoming bond work in the U.S, Contractors can call PermitUsNow at 1.844.PERMIT.4 for permitting assistance.
At PermitUsNow, we are committed to pulling permits for our Architect, Contractor, and Project Owner clients without delay, eliminating their frustrations with the permitting process. Plus, we make it easy for you to work with us. Simply: 1) Email us your plans, 2) Follow up on our feedback for any missing items, and 3) Let us get your permitting done for you. So, send us your plans today and we’ll free you up to focus on doing what you love – building your customers’ dreams. #BuildSafe